Tuesday, September 17, 2013

My Week Without Social Media: Monday

My normal weekday schedule:

Wake up, go onto Facebook, Instagram, twitter, YouTube, Vine, Etc. takes me about an hour every morning to catch up on everything.

Breakfast, checking my phone every couple minutes WHILE I'm eating 😒

Shower, after my shower, I check everything on my phone AGAIN.

Lunch, same as breakfast

Work for five hours

Come home and go on Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Dinner, no phones allowed during dinner

Evening, watch movie or spend time with family, checking all social medias every once and a while.

And somehow before I go to sleep I spend another hour or more on my phone.

How??? 
Because this next week of my blog posts is going to be on my giving up social media, my daily schedule was more focused on my social media consumption. I do other things too, I'm not completely stuck on Facebook all day long 😉 but when I was making this schedule, I did see how much I actually do go on my phone to see what is happening in the world, too much. That's why on Sunday, September 15th, 2013 I decided to just not even touch it for a week. I also feel that God wants me to do it, give Him more attention, which when God tells you to give something up, you know that you might have a problem 😂 so this is my day-to-day experience on not having any kind of social media for a week. I find it quite funny that I won't be able to share these posts with friend until after the week is over.

Alright, Monday.
It's weird because it's not necessarily hard to go without the social medias, it's the fact that I have to stop myself from pushing that little icon. It's just out of habit! But since I've been stopping myself all day, it has become a lot easier.
I've felt like I have a lot of free time (in just the first day!). I have been kinda antsy to be honest, just like my mind needs to be numbed, and without social media its just running at a thousand miles an hour, it's weird. I feel like I have a tick or something 😂 withdrawal I guess.. So funny
Instead of going on my phone for an hour, I played my ukulele and piano for an hour! It made me extremely happy! I caught up on some letter writing. My Bible reading was a lot more mentally productive because I didn't have my phone distracting me every 5 minutes. So there have been a lot of good things coming out of this.
I get push notifications from Facebook and twitter, which to my surprise, I have been really good at ignoring when I open my phone, but it was difficult because I kept getting notifications from Twitter and I NEVER get notifications from Twitter. So I'm looking forward to see what that was all about on Sunday! You're probably thinking, why don't you just turn off the push notifications? Because, I don't feel like messing with it, I think as the week goes by, the less activity there will be. Hopefully anyway.
Well that is my experience with day one!
Thank you for reading!
❤ Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment