Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dreadlocks

i am fond of dradlocks. i think they are absolutely beautiful.
so natural and different.
i first noticed how much i liked dreadlocks when i watched Jason Castro on American Idol.

i like his voice a lot and i thought it was that his was the way it was. as the season of American Idol progressed and Jason got farther and farther into the competition, they would show little interview clips before the contestant's performance. Jason would sometimes talk about his hair, and i found myself hoping every week that he would talk about his hair. i didn't do any research on them until i went to the state fair in 2010. there were so many people with dreadlocks at the fair, i was so happy that i could see dreadlocks in person rather than tv.
after the fair, i started doing research on dread and i started considering having dreads myself.
after a lot of research and preparation, i finally got dreadlocks on December 15, 2010. (back combed my hair tightly in sections) unfortunately, they kept falling out, not completely, but there was so much lookse hair, it didn't even look like dreads anymore. i kept back combing, but the same results kept happening.
so exactly a month later (not long at all i know, but i was losing confidence fast), January 15, 2011 i combed my hair out.
i was heartbroken.
in May of 2011 i decided to try the dreads again, but this time i was going to try the natural method. (keeping the hair clean, but not combing or touching it)
i only made it 3 weeks.
i wanted immediate results, so i got frustrated and gave up.
i was angry at myself for not being patient (i was having some self-esteem issues at the time, which i think greatly contributed to my failure)
amazingly, in 2011, i learned to love myself a lot, something i had been trying to accomplish for a long time.
sooo that whole story was to lead up to my saying, i'm trying again!
third time's a charm right? ;)
i'm going with the natural method.
i haven't combed my hair for a week now and it's so messy!
i am now on a journey of practicing patience and i am so much more determined this time!


1 week

well wish me luck! :)
love, Katie♥

2 comments:

  1. So excited for your journey ! I cant wait to see where this goes and I'm so happy to see you being persistent. I think its awesome that you're not only dreading your hair again, but also using this as a tool to practice patience. best of luck my dear !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much!
      i'm really excited to see how my hair turns out!
      :)

      Delete